Saturday, January 23, 2010

Cub Scouts

This is Peyton's first year in Cub Scouts--he is a "bear."  He earned his Bobcat badge in October and we are working on his bear path and other sports/academic awards. 


Peyton says the Cub Scout Promise ~ Dad awards him his Bobcat Badge
(Ashley's there 'cause she just wanted to stand up front with Dad and Peyton)

In early December his den took a field trip to the Sheriff's department. Two of the den parents work for the State Prosecutors office so we were lucky to have them arrange it. The boys (and their siblings) got to see where the Sheriff cars go at the jail to unload prisoners and even got to sit behind the wheel and sound the siren. We also got to have a tour of the Dispatch room, got fingerprinted, and tested out the SWAT gear. I think all the kids enjoyed themselves, except now they think the jail is "cool" place to go...how do I dispell that myth?

Geoffrey, Peyton, and Jack check out the cop car


Peyton and Jack each get a turn in the driver's seat ~
Ashley was a little too shy to sit in the driver's seat, but she still wanted her picture taken with the car!


Everybody smile for the camera!


Everybody make goofy faces for the camera!


Mom's favorite part of the Dispatch room - this lights up when it's time for a Bud Light.
OK, it really stands for Back-Up Dispatch, but I think it's better as a signal for a beer break.


Testing out the SWAT gear - it was HEAVY! And my kids are so tough they didn't even want help!


Peyton designs his car for the Pinewood Derby (with Mom's help)


Peyton ROCKS the Pinewood Derby!

Peyton did a good job on his car but we didn't take it too seriously.  You can imagine how excited we were when he kept winning!  In the first round he won 3 out of 4 races!  He and 3 other boys from his den made it to the Finals where there were a total of 6 kids--his den and 2 older kids from Webelos.  Peyton did not end up in the top 3, but we were so excited for him that he made it that far and had such a good attitude about the whole evening.  His friend Finnley took 3rd place and his friends Jack and Ted were the other 2 that joined him in the Finals.  All in all it was a fun night--thumbs up and fist pumps all around.  Even Ashley enjoyed cheering on her brother and the other boys.  The Pack Leader awarded Peyton's car the "Grease Lightning" Award based on its cool design.  Way to go, Peyton!

1 comment:

Grandma chewy said...

Okay...I'm reading your blog and scroll down and say to myself..How did they get Jeff's scout pictures???No Kidding. Peyton looks identical to Jeff. I'm finding the pictures and going to share them, If I can figure out how! Way to go Peyton. It's awesome that you are in scouts. I bet you are loving it. Your dad did and I'd give anything to watch you in aaction. Keep up the good work Buddy!! I love you!!!